WELCOME TO WEST POINT.iSPORTSMAN.NET
** ATTENTION DEER HUNTERS **
ANTLER POINT RESTRICTION (APR)
West Point is instituting an Antler Point Restriction (APR) deer hunting regulation. Starting SAT, 11/16 - NYS Big Game Regular Rifle Season Opening Day - and thereafter hunters pursuing antlered deer in selected areas may only harvest bucks with three one inch points (incl. brow-tines if present) on at least one antler. For those preferring not to participate in this initiative, portions of the reservation shall remain exempt from this new regulation.
For more information, see 2019 ANTLER POINT RESTRICTION NOTICE.
** ATTENTION ALL HUNTERS **
PHEASANT STOCKING HAS CONCLUDED: Our fourth and final pheasant stocking date for 2019 was FRI, 11/01. Pheasant stocking has concluded until Fall 2020. Thank you to all of our volunteers who helped stock birds this season!
GUEST CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT EASIER: It is is easier to check in when hunting with a guest. Separate accounts are no longer needed and guest sponsors check their guest in/out from own account upon check in/checkout.
GENERAL PUBLIC HUNTERS: General Public permits went on sale FRI 11/01 and are now available on a first come, first served basis until 35 General Public permits have been sold. After that, no more General Public permits will be available.
DISABLED HUNTERS: The "Accessible Hunting" area has been renamed to "R - Disabled Hunting". Also, the hydraulic lift Huntmaster blind has moved from The orchard in Area B to Deep Hollow Rd in Area T1.
2019 OPENING DAY LOTTERY NOTICE IS NOW AVAILABLE!
2019-2020 WEST POINT HUNTING NOTICE IS NOW AVAILABLE!
2019 GENERAL PUBLIC HUNTING NOTICE IS NOW AVAILABLE!
** ATTENTION ANGLERS **
Welcome to West Point iSportsman, the new website for hunting, fishing, trapping, and firewood permits at West Point's Military Reservation. In June 2017, West Point's old fish and game website, HuntTracker, ended and iSportsman succeeds it. This website lets user:
(1) Purchase a permit - to purchase a permit, users must have an account. Under Account above, new users can create an account using New User Registration (directed through a Customer Types users should read) while return users can sign in via Account Login.
(2) Check the availability of and check-in/check-out an area - Under Areas & Maps above, users can see if Mine Torne Road, fishing/hunting areas are open/closed/full in Areas. The Interactive Map only shows hunting areas. To check-in/check-out users must login.
(3) Get updates on regulations, news, and weather - Users may see news briefs on the Home page and more via News tab above. Under the Resources tab, find Regulations, Reports, Brochures, & Harvests. See Weather link for weather, sunrise/sunset information.
(4) Meet game reporting requirements - All big game (bear, deer) must be reported but all harvest should be reported. Understanding what animals are taken allows Natural Resource Branch to better understand and sustainably manage fish and game populations, habitat.
** MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS **
** CALLING ALL HUNTERS ** THE WEST POINT NATURAL RESOURCES OFFICE NEEDS YOUR HELP. WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION FROM HUNTERS ON FISHER SIGHTINGS. HAVE YOU SEEN A FISHER? LET US KNOW.
** ATTN GENERAL PUBLIC ** GENERAL PUBLIC PERMITEES MAY ONLY HUNT BIG GAME AND MAY NOT FISH NOR HUNT SMALL GAME. THE ACCOUNT REGISTRATION PERIOD HAS ENDED. NEW ACCOUNTS WILL BE DELETED UNTIL OCT 2019.
** WARNING ** CONCERTINA WIRE & BARBED WIRE ARE PRESENT IN MANY AREAS AT WEST POINT AND POSE A SAFETY HAZARD TO PEOPLE, DOGS, AND VEHICLES. USE EXTREME CAUTION HUNTING OR DRIVING IN RANGE AREAS.
** WE'VE MOVED! ** NATURAL RESOURCES IS NO LONGER IN BLDG 144. WE'VE MOVED INTO BLDG 667, ON 1ST FLOOR DOWN THE SW STAIRWELL. PLEASE E-MAIL, CALL AHEAD TO ARRANGE VISIT.
NEWS & UPDATES
NEW NEWS Updated: 11/07/2019
- WEBSITE UPDATES - Content and functions are being regularly added to this site. Check back regularly for updates.
- 11/07/2019 - ANTLER POINT RESTRICTION REGULATION NOTICE POSTED. Deer hunters, see News, Regulations page.
- 11/01/2019 - 2019 REGULAR SEASON OPENING DAY LOTTERY NOTICE POSTED. See News Page.
- 11/01/2019 - PHEASANT STOCKING DAY 4 OF 4. 100 pheasants stocked over 7 sites. Final 2019 stocking.
- 11/01/2019 - GENERAL PUBLIC PERMITS GO ON SALE - First come, first served basis.
- 10/27/2019 - GENERAL PUBLIC ACCOUNT REGISTRATION PERIOD ENDS. No more new GP accounts until 2020.
- 10/25/2019 - PHEASANT STOCKING DAY 3 OF 4 - 100 pheasants stocked over 7 sites.
- 10/11/2019 - PHEASANT STOCKING DAY 2 OF 4 - 100 pheasants stocked over 7 sites.
- 10/08/2019 - 2019 GENERAL PUBLIC HUNTING ANNOUNCEMENT POSTED. See Home, News pages.
- 10/04/2019 - 2nd DEER APR MEETING - informative meeting, vote on proposed hunting regulation.
- 10/01/2019 - GENERAL PUBLIC ACCOUNT REGISTRATION PERIOD STARTS. New GP account sign-up.
- 09/30/2019 - 1ST DEER APR MEETING - informative meeting, vote on proposed hunting regulation.
- 09/30/2019 - PHEASANT STOCKING DAY 1 OF 4 - 120 pheasants stocked at eight sites across installation.
- 09/18/2019 - 2019 WEST POINT GENERAL PUBLIC HUNTER NOTICE POSTED. Public hunters, See News page.
- 09/17/2019 - DEER MEETINGS & VOTE NOTICE POSTED. Hunting proposal, votes this fall. See News page.
- 09/12/2019 - 2019 TIGER MUSKY STOCKING - 300+ hybrid tiger muskellunge stocked in Popolopen Lake.
- 09/10/2019 - POPOLOPEN & STILWELL BATHYMETRIC CHARTS POSTED. See lake depths. See Maps page.
- 09/09/2019 - HUNTING MAP CHANGES NOTICE POSTED. See info on specific changes to map. See Maps page.
- 09/05/2019 - 2019 NATIONAL HUNT & FISH DAY ANNOUNCEMENT POSTED. See News page.
- 09/05/2019 - 2019 BOW HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT POSTED. See News page.
- 09/05/2019 - 2019 HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT POSTED. See News page.
- 09/03/2019 - 2019 PERSONALLY OWNED FIREARM (POF) DAY NOTICE POSTED. See News page.
- 09/03/2019 - 2019 PHEASANT STOCKING NOTICE POSTED. For dates, numbers, areas, see notice. See News page.
- 09/01/2019 - NEW WEST POINT HUNTING MAP POSTED. Changes made to previous hunting map.
- 07/16/2019 - 2019-2020 WEST POINT HUNTING NOTICE POSTED. Hunting Season Dates, bag limits. See Regulations page.
- 05/16/2019 - NEW WILKINS POND DOCK OPENS - 80 foot dock /w benches, canopy, outreach boards opens.
- 04/16/2019 - 3RD TROUT STOCKING DAY - 4500 trout stocked at ten sites across the installation.
- 04/12/2019 - 2ND TROUT STOCKING DAY - 400 trout stocked at three sites across the installation.
- 03/29/2019 - 1ST TROUT STOCKING DAY - 2000 trout stocked at ten sites across the installation.
- 03/06/2019 - 2019-2020 FISHING SEASONS MEMO POSTED. Season dates, bag limits, special rules. See Regulations page.
- 03/04/2019 - 2019 TROUT STOCKING NOTICE POSTED. (Updated 03/06/2019). See News page.
- 12/20/2018 - 2018 DEER HARVEST REPORT POSTED. See data on all deer harvested in 2018. See News page, Reports page
NOTICE TO NEW iSPORTSMAN USERS
ATTENTION ALL NEW USERS: To ensure safety and prevent military mission interference and resource overexploitation, West Point must control access to its military reservation. Individuals accessing the West Point Military Reservation must meet required eligibility standards as described in Army Regulation 215-1. To accomplish this, West Point iSportsman administrators must vet all new accounts.
Until administrators can verify your eligibility there will be an administrative hold on your account. This may take up to two business days. While this hold is in effect, you may not purchase/use permits nor check-in/out of areas. When eligibility is verified, your account will be approved and you will receive e-mail notification. Then sign in and complete mandatory Safety Brief.
If you are currently waiting for account approval and desire faster service, contact MWR Outdoor Recreation Division staff at Round Pond at (845) 938-2503 from April to mid-November or Victor Constant at (845) 938-8810 from mid-November to April. If MWR staff is unable to confirm your eligibility initially, you may be required to send in documentation or bring in documentation in person to prove your eligibility.
- Accounts created with incomplete or erroneous profiles will be deleted. Read Customer Types page to be sure you understand your Customer Type then complete your profile. Do not select the GUEST PARTICIPANT (Admin Only).
- Unregistered or previously unverified individuals will receive a notice to register through MWR (see contacts below) within 1 week of creating their account or the created account will be deleted.
2019-2020 WEST POINT TRAPPING SEASONS MEMO
HUNTING & CHECK IN/CHECK OUT HOURS
BIG GAME SEASON
HUNTING HOURS: SUNRISE - SUNSET *
CHECK IN/CHECK OUT HOURS: 0500 TO HOUR AFTER SUNSET*
Hunting hours for regular big game season are sunrise to sunset*. Hunters may check into an area to hunt via iSportsman and enter the woods to hunt at 0500 at the earliest but must be be out of an area and check out of the area via iSportsman by an hour after sunset.
* Regular big game season hunting hours apply to all hunters during big game season, not just hunters of big game, with following exceptions: Waterfowl hunters may hunt half hour before sunrise. (See Hunting Memo)
NON BIG GAME SEASON
HUNTING HOURS: 0400 - 2359*
CHECK IN/CHECK OUT HOURS: 0400 - 2359
Hunting hours for non-big game season are 0500-2359 (see Hunting Memo). Hunters may checking out an area for hunting via iSportsman as early as 0400 (but no earlier) and but must be both out of the field and checked out of area via iSportsman by 2359.
* Hunting Hours as described in Hunting Memo apply. Hunting for most species is limited to from sunrise to sunset. Exceptions include waterfowl (half hour before sunrise to sunset), spring turkey (see Hunting Memo), and night coyote, fox, raccoon hunting (0400-2359)
MORE ON WEST POINT
Of West Point's roughly 16,000-acre total area, 8,500 or so acres of the installation is made available in approximately 50 delineated areas for the purposes of big game, small game and waterfowl hunting, and trapping. Hunting area occupancy limits are set by acreage to limit crowding and ensure a fair and safe hunt. Due to proximity to sensitive features, such as residential areas or ranges, some hunting areas are limited to hunter type or implement allowed.
Fishing is permitted in all waterbodies at West Point, including the Hudson River. West Point is predominately a warm water/cool water fishery. Bass, panfish, and catfish are available in all our lakes and ponds. Trout are stocked in several streams and three lakes. Tiger Musky are stocked in Popolopen Lake for an additional challenge. Anglers will register when accessing Popolopen Brook, Trout/Mineral Springs Brook, Beaver Pond, Cranberry Pond, Weyants Pond, Stilwell Lake, Mine Lake and Lake Georgina.
To ensure sound natural resources management in compliance with the requirements of the federal Sikes Act, an Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan (INRMP) was developed in partnership and signatory cooperation with the N.Y.S. Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), with full public disclosure as required by the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). The INRMP and its implementation helps ensure: (1) Sustainability of quality training lands to accomplish military mission, (2) Compliance with environmental laws and regulations; (3) Good stewardship of public lands; and (4) Enhancement of quality of life on and around West Point.
- Natural Resources Branch, DPW
This site is still in its early stages of its development. Please alert West Point Natural Resources to user issues, broken links, etc.:
Christopher Killough, Fish & Wildlife Technician, Natural Resources Branch, DPW;
Office Phone: (845) 938-2314; Email: email@example.com
POINTS OF CONTACT
ON WEST POINT
- NATURAL RESOURCES BRANCH, DHPW: For questions and concerns about wildlife management operations, game species populations, hunting and trapping regulations, or to report injured wildlife or bear sightings, call: 1 (845) 938-7122, -2314, -3857, -1973
- OUTDOOR RECREATION DIVISION, FMWR: For questions and concerns about West Point hunting and guest passes, NY hunting licenses, area maps, West Point hunting regulations including USMA Regulation 215-5, call: 1 (845) 938-2503 or 1 (845) 938-8810.
- RANGE CONTROL: For questions about access to reservation training areas for hunting, fishing, and trapping including questions about keys, gates, range roads, and range area firing or to report UXO or trees downed across range roads, call: 1 (845) 938-3930
- PROVOST MARSHALL: Law Enforcement Sergeant's Desk: 1 (845) 938-3333. For on-installation game or other environmental violations, call CLEOs (Game Wardens) at 1 (845) 938-2797, 1 (845) 938-0147 or 1 (845) 590-1345. If unavailable, try Sergeant's Desk.
OFF WEST POINT
- NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION (NYSDEC) - REGION 3 OFFICE - NEW PALTZ NY: For questions about NY Game laws, license information, hunter safety course information, or other inquiries call REGION 03 OFFICE at (845) 256-3098. To report injured wildlife or NYS Game Law Violations off-post, call NYSDEC ECO's at: 1 (845) 3013.
*** NOTE REGARDING ALL INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE ***
All hunting, trapping, and fishing on West Point must be in accordance with New York State regulations and West Point regulations as stated in USMA Regulation 215-5. All information posted here is meant to supplement New York State regulations as set by the NYSDEC and West Point Regulations as stated in USMA Regulation 215-5. No information posted here should be interpreted as authorizing individuals to otherwise violate New York State regulations or West Point regulations as stated In USMA Regulation 215-5. If any clarification is necessary, please contact the Natural Resource Branch Office.