WELCOME TO WEST POINT.iSPORTSMAN
** WELCOME TO WEST POINT.iSPORTSMAN. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE NEWS & UPDATES, HUNTING & CHECK IN/CHECKOUT HOURS, HUNTING & FISHING RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS, LINKS TO 2017-2018 WEST POINT SEASON MEMOS, IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION, AND MORE! **
Welcome to WestPoint iSportsman, the new website for hunting, fishing, trapping, and firewood permits at West Point's Military Reservation. As of June 2017, operation of West Point's old fish and game website, HuntTracker, ended and iSportsman will succeed it. This website will allow users to:
(1) Purchase a permit - to purchase a permit, users must have an account. Under Account above, new users can create an account using New User Registration (directed through a Customer Types users should read) while return users can sign in via Account Login.
(2) Check the availability of and check-in/check out an area - Under Areas & Maps above, users can see if Mine Torne Road, fishing/hunting areas are open/closed/full in Areas. The Interactive Map only shows hunting areas. To check-in/check-out users must login.
(3) Get updates on regulations, news, and weather - Users may see news briefs on the Home page and more via News tab above. Under the Resources tab, Regulations, Reports, and Brochures are available. See Weather link for weather, sunrise/sunset information.
(4) Meet game reporting requirements - All big game (bear, deer) must be reported but all harvest should be reported. Understanding what animals are taken allows Natural Resource Branch to better understand and sustainably manage fish and game populations, habitat.
** ATTENTION **
FALL 2017 RING NECK PHEASANT STOCKING HAS CONCLUDED. THANKS TO ALL OF OUR STOCKING VOLUNTEERS. DAY #3 STOCKING: NUMBERS: E2-15, L-20, N-10, R-20, T2-50. IN TOTAL 80 BIRDS WERE STOCKED IN FIVE AREAS. NO BIRDS WERE STOCKED IN Z2. STOCKED AREAS ARE NOW OPEN TO HUNT.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THIS WEBSITE PLEASE CALL (845) 938-2314.
- NATURAL RESOURCES, FRI 10/20/2017
NEWS & UPDATES
NEW NEWS Updated: 10/20/2017
- WEBSITE UPDATES - Content and functions are being regularly added to this site. Check back regularly for updates
- 10/20/2017: PHEASANT STOCKING DAY #3 - 80 pheasant were successfully stocked at 5 sites across installation.
- 10/06/2017: PHEASANT STOCKING DAY #2 - 100 pheasant were successfully stocked at 6 sites across installation.
- 10/05/2017: PUBLIC HUNTER POST-LOTTERY MEMO POSTED - Gen. Public Hunter lottery winner directions. See News page
- 10/02/2017: PUBLIC HUNTER LOTTERY HELD - General Public Hunter applications were processed at Round Pond.
- SEP 2017: TIGER MUSKY STOCKED - 300 in Popolopen Lake (09/07), PHEASANT STOCKING DAY #1 - 95 pheasant (09/30).
- SEP 2017: PERMIT PURCHASE SYSTEM IS LIVE - approved users may now log on and purchase permits, check in/out.
- SEP 2017: iSPORTSMAN NOTE #2, POF RANGE DAYS, ARCHERY, PHEASANT STOCKING NOTES POSTED See News page.
- AUG 2017: UXO AWARENESS SAFETY BRIEF POSTED - sign in, complete brief. Required to buy permit, checking in/out.
- AUG 2017: 2017 DEER SURVEY See Reports Page, iSPORTSMAN NOTE #1 POSTED. See News Page
- AUG 2017: 2017-18 HUNTING, FISHING, TRAPPING MEMOS POSTED. - See respective activity pages or scroll down.
2017 WEST POINT HUNTING MAPS NOW AVAILABLE
18"x24" Updated Waterproof Hunting Maps for sale for $2.00 at Round Pond. This is only map hunters should use. Hunters should not use Training Area Maps. Training Areas Can Differ Greatly From Hunting Areas. For 8.5" x 11" copy of new hunting map, see Other Maps.
NEW iSPORTSMAN ACCOUNTS ELIGIBILITY VETTING
ATTENTION ALL NEW USERS: In order to better ensure safety and prevent both interference with the military mission and an overexploitation of fish and game resources, West Point has to be able to control access to its military reservation and see that individuals attempting to access the West Point Military Reservation meet the required eligibility standards as described in Army Regulation 215-1. To accomplish this, Westpoint.iSportsman administrators must vet all new accounts.
Until administrators can verify your eligibility there will be an administrative hold on your account. While this hold is in effect, you won't be able to access your account to purchase/use permits or check-in/out of areas. However once your eligibility is verified, site administrtaors will approve your account and you will be able to sign in. The approval process may take up to two days, accounting for weekends and holidays. Once signed in, you must complete a mandatory Safety Brief. When you've done this, you will have access to all available account features.
If you are currently waiting for account approval and desire faster service, please contact the Outdoor Recreation Division staff at Round Pond at (845) 938-2503 from April to November or Victor Constant at (845) 938-8810 from November to April. If the Outdoor Recreation Division Staff is unable to independently confirm your eligibility initially, you may be required to send in documentation or bring in documentation in person to prove your eligibility.
HUNTING & CHECK IN/CHECK OUT HOURS
BIG GAME SEASON
HUNTING HOURS: SUNRISE - SUNSET
CHECK IN/CHECK OUT HOURS: HOUR BEFORE SUNRISE TO HOUR AFTER SUNRISE*
Hunting hours for regular big game season are sunrise to sunset. Hunters may check into an area to hunt via iSportsman as early as an hour before sunset (but no earlier) and but must be be out of an area and check out of the area via iSportsman by an hour after sunset (no later).
* Regular big game season hunting hours apply to all hunters during big game season, not just hunters of big game, with following exceptions: Waterfowl hunters may hunt half hour before sunrise. (see Hunting Memo)
NON BIG GAME SEASON
HUNTING HOURS: 0400 - 2359*
CHECK IN/CHECK OUT HOURS: 0400 - 1159
Hunting hours for non big game season are are 0500-2359 (see Hunting Memo). Hunters may checking out an area for hunting via iSportsman as early as 0400 (but no earlier) and but must be both out of the field and checked out of area via iSportsman by 2359 (no later).
* Hunting Hours as described in Hunting Memo apply. Hunting for most species is limited to from sunrise to sunset. Exceptions include waterfowl (half hour before sunrise to sunset), spring turkey (see Hunting Memo), and night coyote, fox, racoon hunting (0400-2359)
* Hunters have one hour limit between checking into an area on iSportsman, signing in at Hunt Control and being out in area. Similarly hunters have one hour limit between leaving an area and checking out of an area on iSportsman, signing out at Hunt Control.
* Indefinitely holding of an area not being used is unethical and against West Point. Hunters must use the area they check into or otherwise check out. Failure to comply will result in possible suspension of all permits/passes and fish/game privileges at West Point without refund.
RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS
- It is the responsibility of all West Point Permit holders to understand, observe, and obey West Point regulations as well as New York State, federal regulations. West Point Regulation 215-5 is currently being revised for the 2017-2018 season and will be available prior to the start of fall hunting seasons. Violations will be investigated, prosecuted.
- All individuals hunting, trapping, and fishing at West Point must purchase and be in possession of respective West Point permits . Permits will be made available for purchase and check in/check out will be possible on this website, but until that time can be purchased in person at the Round Pond Bait Shop.
- All individuals hunting, trapping, and fishing at West Point must also possess valid New York State licenses (e.g. hunting, trapping, fishing) or Federal licenses (e.g "Duck Stamp"). First time hunters must complete a NYSDEC Hunter, Bowhunter, and/or Trapper Education course before applying for a respective New York State license.
- All individuals hunting, trapping, and fishing at West Point must meet MWR eligibility requirements in order to access West Point for recreational activities. Army Regulation 215-1, available on this site on Regulations Page under Resources tab, contains MWR eligibility definitions and requirements for each customer type.
- Due to safety concerns and to prevent interfering with military mission, all hunters, trappers and - for waters inside training areas (listed below) - anglers at West Point must check in and check out of their selected area when accessing West Point. Hunters will follow this requirement for all hunting related activities from scouting to setting up stands to actual pursuit of game.
MORE ON WEST POINT
Of West Point's roughly 16,000-acre total area, 8,500 or so acres of the installation is made available in approximately 50 delineated areas for the purposes of big game, small game and waterfowl hunting, and trapping. Hunting area occupancy limits are set by acreage to limit crowding and ensure a fair and safe hunt. Due to proximity to sensitive features, such as residential areas or ranges, some hunting areas are limited to hunter type or implement allowed.
Fishing is permitted in all waterbodies at West Point, including the Hudson River. West Point is predominately a warmwater/coolwater fishery. Bass, panfish, and catfish are available in all our lakes and ponds. Trout are stocked in several streams and three lakes. Tiger Musky are stocked in Popolopen Lake for an additional challenge. Anglers will register when accessing Popolopen Brook, Trout/Mineral Springs Brook, Beaver Pond, Cranberry Pond, Weyants Pond, Stilwell Lake, Mine Lake and Lake Georgina.
To ensure sound natural resources management in compliance with the requirements of the federal Sikes Act, an Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan (INRMP) was developed in partnership and signatory cooperation with the N.Y.S. Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) and U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), with full public disclosure as required by the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). The INRMP and its implementation helps ensure: (1) Sustainability of quality training lands to accomplish military mission, (2) Compliance with environmental laws and regulations; (3) Good stewardship of public lands; and (4) Enhancement of quality of life on and around West Point.
This site is still in its early stages of its development and under construction. Please alert West Point Natural Resources to user issues, broken links, etc: Christopher Killough, Fish & Wildlife Technician; ORISE/USAG, Natural Resources Branch, DPW; Office Phone: (845) 938-2314; Email: email@example.com
- Natural Resources Branch, DPW
NOTE REGARDING ALL INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE
** All hunting, trapping, and fishing on West Point must be in accordance with New York State regulations and West Point regulations as stated in USMA Regulation 215-5. All information posted here is meant to supplement New York State regulations as set by the NYSDEC and West Point Regulations as stated in USMA Regulation 215-5. No information posted here should be interpreted as authorizing individuals to otherwise violate New York State regulations or West Point regulations as stated In USMA Regulation 215-5. If any clarification is necessary, please contact the Natural Resource Branch Office.
POINTS OF CONTACT
ON WEST POINT
- NATURAL RESOURCES BRANCH, DHPW: For questions and concerns about wildlife management operations, game species populations, hunting and trapping regulations, or to report injured wildlife or bear sightings, call: 1 (845) 938-2177, -2314, -1973
- OUTDOOR RECREATION DIVISION, FMWR: For questions and concerns about West Point hunting and guest passes, NY hunting licenses, area maps, West Point hunting regulations including USMA Regulation 215-5, call: 1 (845) 938-2503 or 1 (845) 938-8810.
- RANGE CONTROL: For questions about access to reservation training areas for hunting, fishing, and trapping including questions about keys, gates, range roads, and range area firing or to report UXO or trees downed across range roads, call: 1 (845) 938-3930
- PROVOST MARSHALL: Law Enforcement Sergeant's Desk: 1 (845) 938-3333. For observed on-installation game or other environmental violations, call game warden/CLEO staff at 1 (845) 938-0147 or 1 (845) 590-1345. If unavailable, try Sergeant's Desk.
OFF WEST POINT
- NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION (NYSDEC) - REGION 3 OFFICE - NEW PALTZ NY: For questions about NY Game laws, license information, hunty safety course information, or other inquiries call REGION 03 OFFICE at (845) 256-3098. To report injured wildlife or NYS Game Law Violations off-post, call NYSDEC ECO's at: 1 (845) 3013.